Monday 15 July 2013

I had Fela’s influence, picked his inspiration -Lemi Ghariokwu


 
Lemi Ghariokwu (Photo: by ADA DIKE)
Sometimes, who one meets in life can make or mar him or her, but Lemi Ghariokwu’s encounter with Afro-beat legend, Late Fela Anikulapo helped to shape his career for the better. In this interview with ADA DIKE, the renowned artist and singer shares his experience about his life and career.
------------------------------------------------------

As a creative artist and singer, your life revolves around art. What inspired you to go deeply into it?
I believe in predestination. I was born into art. It was not by accident. I discovered my talent early in life and I harnessed it even when I did not know that I was harnessing it.
My father wanted me to be a mechanic engineer, that is why I attended a technical school - Yaba College of Technology Secondary School, where I studied technical and science subjects and I was not a dull student. But art took over because I kept drawing till destiny called and I met Late Fela Anikulapo Kuti in 1974, that is 39 years ago. Eventually, for three decades, I did album cover for Fela’s music. In total, I did 24 album covers for him out of 50 albums Fela released all his life. But the significant thing is that they formed a movement for music and art. So it became a package and a brand. Globally, when people talk about Afrobeat music, they talk about art in extension, so I get to shine.
Can you tell us your view concerning Fela’s lifestyle when he was alive?
We are made and I don’t believe we should judge others, even though they may do things that we don’t do. We are different beings like in the universe, religious people call God Allah or Buddha or Olodumare. I am not into religion.  Fela was into African religion but, I don’t worship anything but emulate Christ. If I know well about Ifa or Sango, I would emulate the positive aspect of them. I believe emulation is the key.
What aspect of Fela’s lifestyle did you emulate?
I always had my head screwed tight. Naturally, when you are with someone who you look up to, you will imbibe some things from that person. I had Fela’s influence but picked his inspiration because I always like to make a choice and that is what I advice people including my children. You can dine with anybody if the need be, but remember the child of whom you are. “Man know thyself” is my philosophy of life. I always have that on my mind and that is how I survive wherever I am, including in Kalakuta.
Though I worked with Fela, I don’t have his character at all. Where we agreed was in his ideology, so I am committed to that. Fela is gone, I still brand and design for Kalakuta all over the world. It is important for Africans to promote what they have. People go to Jamaica because Bob Marley was famous when he was alive. We now have Fela’s museum, we have to be promoting our own for it to give us self esteem. I keep doing that with my work.
Are you saying you did not smoke cigarettes or anything while in Kalakuta with Fela and others?
I smoked but now, I don’t drink, I don’t smoke and I was not born a smoker. I have never smoked cigarette in my life. I am in my late 50s, but I smoked Indian hemp when Fela insisted at a point. I used to drink orange drink and he wondered why I should be taking soft drink at all times and encouraged me to smoke Indian hemp. So I tried and was not comfortable with that lifestyle and stopped it.
How do you conceptualise a particular artwork you want to draw?
Lemi Ghariokwu (Photo: by ADA DIKE)
Because it is within, it is developed. I have gone through the gamut of art in my life, I started as a portrait artist. Eventually, I learnt graphics. For survival strategy, I did van display when it was not done digitally. There was a time I was doing billboard before Lagos State came and took it. I did backdrop for shows organised by Aibtonia promotion, Majek Fashek and others. I was doing the works by hand without flex and it could take two weeks or more for me to finish it. I would hire about eight people to assist me in painting and other works. It used to be tedious because we would create the concept, trace the drawing before we do transfer. Now we are in a digital age. I bought my first computer in 1992 and used it to learn how to use Corel draw. That is an advantage. I am not just a painter; I can do graphics and use that to embellish my work in order to be abreast of the time because art is also a fashion which changes often. That is how I survive with it after 40 years I have been doing it. I did my first album cover in 1972 before I met Fela. So, I am still relevant in my profession after 40 years. I called my works Afro Pop now.
You did a solo exhibition recently at Didi Museum, Lagos. Can you tell us about it?
I have done many solo and group exhibitions in Nigeria. The one I did recently in Didi Museum could be my fifth or sixth exhibition but I don’t normally count it.
My last exhibition before the recent one was in 2010 and ever since, I have been looking forward to having another exhibition at home, because I believe strongly that home is where the kettle boils. So, I also believe in the right time. I don’t hurry to do anything in my life. If I have a dream, I stay focused till it materialises. I am happy that my dream is materialising.
Technically, I chose the date for my exhibition, May 25, 2013, because it is very significant. In Africa, we have not lacked so far to promote our own our culture, tradition and legacy. I am a strong advocate for consciousness of Africa and I am an advocate of African renaissance. In practical terms, I have to show an example. I worked with Late Fela and totally share his ideology. That is, the Pan-African ideology. We believe that Africa has to come together. It is about African unity, it is about networking. Typical example is the Jews. Within the last 50 years, the Jews have become the super power.  They control the economy of the world. They control American economy and entertainment. Look at the Indians and the Pakistanis in the United Kingdom; they have a whole neighbourhood to themselves. Africans and Nigerians, especially, are all over the world, but we are not coordinated. May 25, is African Day, we are supposed to be having holiday on that day in all African countries.
Many people celebrate Valentine’s Day, Christmas and Id el Kabir, but what has happened to our own tradition? On May 25, 1963, People like Late Kwame Nkrumah, Haile Selassie, Sekou Toure and other numerous African leaders had it in their wisdom to form a union which is today called the African Union, formerly known as Organisation of African Union. To me, it is supposed to be called African Unity Day.
Fortunately, I have a beautiful, intelligent and enlightened curator, Mrs. Ugoma Adegoke. I met her in 2011 during the Fela! on Broadway show in Nigeria. So she organised an exhibition then and part of the exhibition was my works alongside two other artists. She sold the pieces and I didn’t bother about what came out of that exhibition, but a year after, I got a text message on my phone, asking me to send her my account details for her to pay into my account the money she realised from the exhibition. I was so surprised. I told her that she’s a good example of a true Nigerian and indicated an interest to work with her in future. That was an honesty of purpose because I had forgotten about the exhibition when she gave me that money, so to speak.
When she told me that she scheduled the last exhibition we had for May 24, I begged her to shift it to May 25, and I told her that it’s African Union Day. So she changed the date to May 25, and I felt so happy about it. I shed tears of joy when I saw the brochure for this year’s exhibition. Anytime I travel outside Nigeria, I will be proud to show it to foreigners. The exhibition is called: “Arts Own Kind,” that is my slogan.  We had a beautiful exhibition and the turn was awesome.
Why did you choose “Arts Own Kind” as your slogan?
I chose it because I have been an artist all my life. I am an easy going person who doesn’t take things seriously.  I see myself as a kind of an artist, that is why I use “Arts Own Kind” as my slogan.
Why are you called Afro Pop?
Branding and rebranding is very important. My exhibition had three segments before the drawings. The small size works (drawing) are called Vintage Lemi. That is how my works looked like in the 1970s, I used to draw and paint it with poster colour. But as time passed by, digital age came. This is an information age, with people doing a lot on social media, they don’t have much time to focus on something. If you have anything, you have to show it quickly. I now do my work to blend colours, digitally. So my brand is about 40 years.
Having spent 40 years in your career, do you have any plans to ensure that one of your children follows your step in art?
I am very liberal.  I believe in destiny. I look at the flair my children have and what they can do. So I am totally supportive of anything they want to do. I have four children. My first daughter, 28, is in Italy right now taking a fashion course. She left university four years ago and did some works somewhere but told me that she loved fashion, that is a gift. I don’t influence my children. But they must have art in them, in one way or the other because it is in the gene. Fashion is part of art. My second daughter, 26, is a born again Christian in Latter Rain Church and leads about 90 people in a in a dance group. She teaches Dance in Grange Schools. My third child, 22, is a boy. He is studying a short course on Video Special Effect in London, United Kingdom. He returned from India last year, where he went to do Film and Television programme. So when he returns, he will be doing video special effect, documentary on adverts. He works in an advert company in Ikeja, Lagos.
My fourth child is a small boy of 10 years old going to 11 years. He is in secondary school and knows how to play piano and can dance break dance very well. Sometimes, he says he wants to be a pastor because he follows his mother to church on frequent basis. I told him when he grows, he will decide on what to do.
I am not a Christian or a Muslim or a pagan. I don’t pray like religious people. I meditate. Do you know what is called positive thinking or law of attraction?
There was a time you collaborated with Daniel Wilson in a song ‘Omolakeji’ in the 1990s. Have you abandoned music?
I would have been a musician and I still have about 400 songs I have not released. I wish I have time; I would go to produce them because I love music. I may not sing now but I have lyrics that I could teach people to sing and be their producer.
 I recorded an album in 1996 but it has never been released till today. Concerning ‘Omolakeji,’ Daniel Wilson at that time, had an album and had just moved from Port Harcourt to Lagos. He told me that he loved ‘Omolakeji’ and implored me to do it as duets with him to enable him have fans among the Yorubas and I agreed.  We also did the video and toured some states in Nigeria through a sponsorship by Benson and Hedges.
Lemi Ghariokwu (Photo: by ADA DIKE)
What is your advice to young Nigerians that aspire to be successful in their careers like you?
Age is just a number so, my advice goes to everybody, irrespective of age. Find your purpose in life- who you are, your talent and harness it. Focus on that. Also, make plans and have a dream.

No comments: