Monday 1 July 2013

Marriage has taught me to move closer to God -Azeezat Allen

Azeezat

Popular singer, Azeezat Allen went into music professionally in 1999 when she took part in Girls Nite Out, an all-girl event organised by Smooth Promotions, organisers of The Headies. There was no opposition from her parents or members of her family when she indicated her interest to be an artiste, so, they encouraged her to succeed in her career.
After some years of dominating airwaves with her songs, she took a break to review, renew and rediscover herself. The current treasurer of the Performing Musicians Association of Nigeria (PMAN), under the leadership of PMAN Interim President, Kevin Lucciano Gabriel, has a latest video titled My Valentine, which is enjoying rave reviews. Meanwhile, she has also released Love Without Language. Determined to take Nigeria’s music industry to a greater height, she said: “Right now, there's no stopping. I am back and better. I know that my fans have missed me so much and I have lots of work to make it up to them for their loyalty all these years.”
A track called Hold On, in her first album Simply Magnificent, shot her to prominence. She revealed that people still love that song till date. “It was conceptualised by Gbenga Anozie. I love it. Since then, I've released other albums Born 2 Sing, Lovers' Club and so on.
The fact that artistes do not make extra efforts to enlighten themselves on their business, which they hope will pay them millions and even when it is paying them millions worries Allen. The graduate of Mass Communication, Moshood Abiola Polytechnic believed they still make assumptions, instead of investing in research, and they still expect it to pay them further.
It is on this note that she and her husband decided to be active members of Copyright Society of Nigeria (COSON). In her words: “COSON is a revolutionary organization with the sole duty of collecting royalties on behalf of artistes in Nigeria. Before now, when asked what I will do to curb piracy in the industry, I used to answer that all I need do is support COSON 100 percent. When I was called upon by my people to serve on the board, I humbly accepted because it was an opportunity to do more.
“One of the achievements COSON has recorded so far is the collection and distribution of millions of naira to artistes for music used which has not happened before in the history of Nigeria. This has also put COSON in the league of top collecting societies in Africa,” Allen Explained.
On how the music industry could be moved to a higher level, she stresses: “When users of music including radio and TV stations, hotels, filling stations, banks, restaurants and other people who use music to improve their businesses, pay for the use of those music, artistes will smile and live better lives and there will be less situations of artistes dying in penury.”
Interestingly, she believes that if all hands is on deck, the issue of piracy would be a thing of the past in the industry.
“If everyone refuses to encourage piracy, it will disappear. You encourage pirates by patronizing their business. But don't forget that that is not the only form of piracy we have. All these people mentioned in my previous answer are pirates if they don't get licensed by a government approved collecting society like COSON,” Azeezat said.
She is known to be one of musicians who also sing in Yoruba language which appeals to diverse people in Nigeria and she is glad that today’s musicians have embraced local languages as the sing and rap in it. While predicting what would happen in the music industry in the next five years, Azeezat believed that it will keep getting better.
Where do you see yourself in the next five years? She was asked: “Though man proposes, God disposes, I see myself in the path that God has prepared for me. Hopefully, we'll be at the centre stage of the world music industry.”
The Queen of Love mentioned funding as one of the impediments she is facing as a musician
“The issue of funding has been my challenge because this business is capital-intensive, and has even grown recently, but it’s not really an impediment, it’s a challenge.”
I can't think of any, maybe because I like to remain positive,” was her reply when she asked what her greatest disappointment was.
Many artistes’ husbands are also their managers, and some of them have divorced along the line. But she is happy working with her husband as her manager and producer at work and as her husband at home. “My husband has featured me in his songs in his own album before, but I never featured him in my own songs but I actually have an exclusive. I'm revealing this for the first time that my hubby was featured in my new video “Love Without Language.” And that's d very first time in my career he's doing so.”
What has marriage taught you?Marriage has taught me to move closer to God. I put Him first before anything or anyone. Through marriage, I have learnt the importance of patience.”
Azeezat
Her belief in God, making her loved ones proud and her belief in the fact that greatness is made up of ordinary people who believe is what drives her on.
“Wow! Is this you?” is what her
20-year-old self would say if she could see her now.  Though, she refused to rate her satisfaction with life so far she said: “One has to learn to be grateful for the gift of life while praying for a better tomorrow. My future plan is to serve my God more, through serving humanity.”
Her mentors are God Almighty, her mom and her hubby.
Stressing further, Allen said
Nigerian government can encourage or support entertainment industry by enforcing the laws that are already in the constitution, which will improve the standard of living for artistes, especially laws regarding intellectual property.
to her, “Growing up was sweet. I had nothing to worry about when I was younger, but now, there so many things to worry about as a human being.
Meanwhile, the lady who blends formal and traditional attires has a unique hairstyle called “Azeezat, the Horns.” “I really didn't give it a name. That name only evolved.”
According to her, she decided to make distinct hairstyle in order to be outstanding. “But I sometimes wear different hairstyles because it is part of my identity.”
When it comes to accessories, Azeezat likes large, long earrings. “To me, style is an expression of one’s personality. My style is dictated by the principle of creative simplicity and comfort. It is an extension of who I am- colourful yet simple.”
She advised young aspiring musicians, who want to be successful to pray, work hard and believe in themselves.
Azeezat

No comments: