Monday 1 July 2013

Music Review: Bottom Belle by Omawumi


Title: Bottom Belle
Singer: Omawumi feat. Flavour
Reviewer: Ada Dike
 
Indeed! Bottom Belle is a classic Highlife which tells a story about a rich man that boasts of having many currencies, that couldn’t meet his commitments, so his lover is reminding him to perform his duty as the man in charge.
The word ‘Bottom Belle’ is a corruption of ‘bell-bottom’ pants of the late sixties and seventies, which were popular, just like ladies today like Brazilian and Peruvian hair. It was in vogue then. Some people believe that Bottom Belle was first done by Dr. Victor Olaiya. Another school of thought mentioned Herbert Udemba as the originator and remixed by Sunny Bobo.
Verse one reads: You tell me say you like me, Me sef tell you my own eh, When e reach to buy me fine things, Iwo l'Aradite eh (eh), If I tell you say make you do better, Try understand, I say as a woman wey like plenty money, Oya show me say fit shake your body, You be chairman no be for mouth eh eh eh, Chairman do something, kpamurege.
Chorus: Oga buy me bottom belle coolu my heart eh (coolu my heart eh), Oga buy me bottom belle coolu my heart eh (Everybody say), Bonsuwe! Azikiwe (aha), Bonsuwe! Ah yo ah yo, Bonsuwe! Azikiwe (ehe), Bonsuwe! Ah yo ah yo o (oya Oliver), Eh ah yo ah yo o (ehe ehe eh eh), Eh eh eh ah yo ah yo o.
Nice beat, beautiful rhythm, the song is meant for dance floor. In fact, whoever listens to it would believe that Omawumi’s remix of Bottom Belle is superb. When it comes to singing in pidgin, Omawumi knows it well. She brings out the ‘Africaness’ in her to sing, in all the tunes she churns out. With her lovely sonorous voice, her voice can send shivers to one’s body.
She features popular Highlife artiste, Flavour N’Abania, whom she referred as the chairman in Bottom Belle. Some of her songs include: If You Ask Me, I Go Go, Serious Love Wantiti, Stay Alive (Jeje Laye) and so on.

No comments: