Wednesday 20 November 2013

Art is inborn in me so I have to develop it. -Joe Eme Okwun



Okwun


Joe Eme Okwun’s first experience in arts business was in 1982 after he took first in drawing and second in miscellaneous designs in secondary schools competition in old Imo State and Late Chief Sam Mbakwe awarded him scholarship. For over two decades, he has done many jobs and participated in many exhibitions In this interview with ADA DIKE, the Abia State born artist sheds light on his career.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Many younger artists have joined the arts profession, why this large turn out?
I always use the word ‘striving’. Arts have come to stay. The younger artists that left the profession are now coming back and they are now coming back and working behind the masters.
The masters had made their mistakes but the younger ones are now tapping from the masters. That is why they have many good works today. Any discipline that at the end of the day you will not have anything that would come out of it is a bad one. But they have seen the green light in the tunnel that is why people are coming into it and they are working hard to get to the top.


What motivated you to go into arts profession?
From the onset I knew I am inclined and once you are inclined there is a tendency that once you venture into such a discipline, you will excel. That is what led me into arts world. I saw it from a tender age that I am an artist. I was almost deviating because of the response I had some years ago. I later realised that people have begun to reckon with arts. I then worked hard to attain that height. I knew that it is inborn in me so I have to develop it.

What year did you realise that you would become an artist?
Not even from secondary school but from primary school. In 1982 when I was in class three in secondary school, and Late Chief Sam Mbakwe was the governor of the then Imo State, I represented the State in arts competition and took first in drawing and second in miscellaneous designs.
Late Chief Mbakwe awarded me scholarship. That was my first experience in arts business.

How do you cope with challenges?
At times, you would have a work which does not come out well and people would criticise it. I am very good at absorbing comment so that it would help me to improve.
So far so good, it has been wonderful and I am equal to the task with the ups and downs.


What is the price of the cheapest artwork you have?
The cheapest one is N15, 000.00 while the highest price is N900, 000.00.

Is it a lucrative venture?
Honestly, it is because we are just beginning. Even at that, it is lucrative because it is one of the disciplines one cannot just venture into if he is not inclined. You must have the talent before you can venture into it.
It is also a discipline that when you are getting old people would begin to reckon with you and the value of your work would increase. I know for sure that in the next ten years, people will see greater things from Nigerian artists.

A lot of Nigerians don’t buy arts works due to economic meltdown. How often do you sell your works?
Most of woks I do are commission jobs. The exhibitions I participated in is just to widen my scope and sell my works to people across the globe. I thank God for what He has given me. At times, I would see a client I would sell a work for N20, 000.00. Psychologically, I weigh my client and know the kind of people who need the works. Presently, my sales are overwhelming. I have a lot of works I know I cannot finish in the next 20 years. I also don’t wait for a commission job to come. I create works for people to come and buy. So the business is wonderfully doing well.
Despite the economic crunch, there are some people that no matter the economic situation, they would want a piece but the only thing I do is to be able to fight that price to let it go.
Professionally, I would say it was coming intermittently. I would not be able point out the exact time but I knew that I would become a professional artist in 1982.
I started full time by working with advertising houses. In 1987, I had one of the biggest commissions. That was when the full time business started.

How will arts give a boost to the economy?
Arts would boost the economy because we are having more people into arts industry now. Some people, which are the curator, sell it outside the country. Some of them sell some works they bought at N200, 000.00 in Nigeria at N1million. Instantly, they are getting something out of minor. It is helping the economy because idle minds have woken up from slumber and people are busy working.
Currently, some people now use arts as collateral. You give your work to collect something you need. At the end of the day, you retrieve your work. It is happening in a wider dimension.


Quote
Honestly, it is because we are just beginning. Even at that, it is lucrative because it is one of the disciplines one cannot just venture into if he is not inclined. You must have the talent before you can venture into it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------


No comments: