Tuesday 28 January 2014

2002 bomb explosion in Lagos: How God saved my siblings and I at Ejigbo-Isolo canal

By Ada Dike
Ada Dike
12 years ago (January 27, 2002), we were on our way from Isolo-Ejigbo canal around 10pm.
Why?
One sunny Sunday, I and some friends converged at Mrs. L. E's place to celebrate her birthday on the roof top of their house. Towards evening, we heard a big bang that shook the foundation of that house. We looked at one another and continued with the groove.
Few minutes later, the bombs began to explode in succession. We were able to see the direction the explosion was taking place cos it was a three-storey building.
The celebrant was the first to run down (forgetting her husband and kids) and disappeared inside the mammoth crowd that came to Ajao Estate from some parts of Ikeja, Ladipo, Oshodi, Mafoluku and so on.
I threw the gift I wanted to give the celebrant into a gutter, removed my shoes and ran with crowd to the canal.
I tried to follow others to jump inside but changed my mind cos the canal was dirty and smelling. I sat down, cried and prayed for God to take control of the situation, wondering what would have happened to my siblings.
Each time the heavier bombs exploded, some old women would scream "Egba mi o" then the young ones would jump inside the canal, trying to cross to the other side cos we all thought we could cross over and run to Cotonou in Benin Republic.
I heaved a sigh of relief when I saw two of my siblings standing by the canal. We sat there till everyone was asked to go home around 8pm.
From that moment, people started looking for their loved ones. We too later saw one of my brothers and went home around this time.
The estate was still busy throughout that night. The following morning, we went to the canal and saw hundreds of corpses of children, young ladies, pregnant women and men. It was a gory sight.
Who am I that God is mindful of me? Awesome God, I thank you so much for sparing my life and that of my family members. Oshee, Sanu, Dalu, Imela, Kaa. Oghene Doo, thank you Lord.

No comments: