Monday 6 January 2014

Heart-to-Heart With ADA DIKE


He does not want to take me to altar
Advisor: ADA DIKE
 I have been dating my boyfriend for two years and I moved into his apartment about ten months ago.
What baffles me is that he has been adamant in taking me to the altar.
He told me that he does not believe in ceremonial wedding. I work in an oil company while he works in a telecommunication company. So we have money that would be enough to organize a society wedding.
Reluctantly, I agreed with him and asked him to go and pay my dowry but he keeps dragging feet.
I have been avoiding buying electronics and expensive things to furnish our homes since I don’t know whether he has an ulterior motive for his attitude towards marrying me.
Already, people are calling me his wife and it is negatively affecting my psyche since I am still bearing my maiden name. Should I pack out of his house?
Mabel

Dear Mabel,
You alone can decide whether or not you will continue with that relationship. There are a lot couples who are live-in-lovers in our society because their dowries have not been paid.
 Some women died and their husbands were asked to go to their villages and pay their dowries before they would be buried without which their children would be taken from them.
Apply any strategy at your disposal and ensure that he pays your dowry. Your case is just like the statements one of my lecturers used to make while we were in school. He said that, “Year one students’ names were written with chalk which can easily be wiped off.”  Though, married couples divorce, it will not be nice for him to walk up to you one day and tell you how incompatible two of you are. He may also bring a lady and introduce her to you as his fiancée so the early you secure your relationship the better. Convince him to pay your dowry and go with you to marriage registry to seal your relationship if you truly love him.


Food for thought

No comments: