Monday 17 March 2014

Nigerian musicians are doing well


Ara
The first female drummer, Aralola Olumuyiwa’s perception about Nigerian music industry proved that it is fast evolving. In this interview with ADA DIKE, Ara speaks on career.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can you tell us the genre of your music?
The genre of my music is Gongofusion.  It is a new genre I created, trying to export talking drum. Though, it has already been exported but the angle of a female drummer is going to be taken in a different form and it simply means that whatever genre of music I find myself in, the talking drum must take the lead and must be highly recognized.
I started composing music when I was seven years old. Then, my father got me a keyboardist who was playing for me.  When I was 12 years old, I took ill and was admitted in a hospital. After I spent two weeks in the hospital without improvement, the doctor that was treating me asked my parents to take me home. My father then reminded me on my sick bed that, “If you die, you cannot become Michael Jackson.” Miraculously, it became a turning point for my life. Here I am today, 26 years after, I am still running. I tried my hands on different types of music including afro-beat.  In the late 1990s, I got my breakthrough as an Afro-beat artiste from Femi Lasode’s Even Ezra Studios in Lagos. In the year 2000, I joined Atunda ENT, an artiste management company in Nigeria which I worked with until 2007.
I have taken my music across the world and have played in many African countries, the United Kingdom, France and many states in the United States of America. I have performed before the Queen of England and have also performed alongside big names in the global entertainment industry including; Wyclef Jean, Wesley Snipes and the legendary Stevie Wonder.

How do you cope with challenges that go on in musical career?
Everyone has got one or two challenges. I am a go-getter. If I want to get something, I get it without looking back. The challenges normally come but I always overcome them

Can you tell us your view about Nigerian music industry?
There is a lot of improvement in the music industry. Even though we have a lot of people singing and recording videos today, we know those who are musicians among them. Musicians are doing well while the upcoming ones are also good. It is just a matter of time. It is high time organizations who can manage talents take over the industry.


As a musician, what are you doing at the moment?
I am doing a lot of things at the moment including re-branding, so expect something new. I am currently working on rebranding my image not only as a performer but as an entertainer of international standard.  It’s a big possibility if I want to release two albums at once but because my very loyal fans have waited and stood by me all this while, we will bring out something that will make them happy.
I am recording, and of course, everybody knows that and they are asking: “When is the album going to be released?” I am tired of saying it is coming out at this point in time, I am assuring them to expect it soon. I also have a seven-track gospel album I recorded during my trying period and these songs will bless a lot of people.
I am also a businesswoman, I have a boutique at Ajao Estate, Braids clinic along Isolo-Mushin Road and I am working on my bar and restaurant in Lekki, all in Lagos.  I have employees working for me. I eat out a lot often. As a good cook, I always like to experiment what I eat outside so that my customers will enjoy it. I divested to secure my future.
I produced my first movie titled ‘Osun Funke,’ which means “River Goddess has given me a child to care for.”

What relationship do you have with a river goddess?
(Laughs). No, I don’t worship a river goddess, but people refer to me as a goddess because they believe that what I do is beyond natural and they believe that my ancestors sent me to impact my world and empowered me with some spiritual powers which I am yet to see. People assume a lot of things when they don’t know anything about you.
I choose Osun Funke as the title for the movie because the movie is centered on the sight and sounds of Osun State, especially its arts, culture and tourism. It is based on the story of Arugba, a ceremony that takes place during the Osun Osogbo festival. Osun Funke hailed from the prestigious Arugba family, unfortunately for her, she was raped so she could not carry the sacred calabash that year and her younger sister carried it. The story goes on from there.

This kind of movie will cost multi-million naira. How did you generate fund to produce it?
 It was a joint venture between Osun State Government and me because they believe in Ara as a talent and as a person. They also believe that I can help to promote culture and tourism of their state. The movie was released before this year’s Osun Osogbo festival. and we will be travelling with it to Europe, America and Asia. Done in Yoruba Language, the movie featured many popular Yoruba actors including Odunlade Adekola, Saheed Balogun, Alhaji Kareem Adepoju a.k.a.Baba Wande, Peju Ogunmola and so on.
I planned to make more movies. I wrote the story of Osun Funke and I played the lead actress, that is, the river goddess.  It was scripted by Tunde Babalola. After Osun Funke, I also have two other movies and a television series to be released. The TV series is about an Ondo girl who came to Lagos, started from the scratch and gradually climbed the ladder of success.  We Ondo people are articulate but stubborn. This particular one is a character to behold, she is influential but not as she claimed to be. It will address a lot of societal issues including politics, marriage and school. I am playing the lead role of the local girl with a heavy accent.

You mentioned rape. Have you been raped before?
Rape is something that is rampant in our society. It is a sensitive issue and we are in an environment where the woman who is the victim is blamed for being raped and the man who perpetrates this heinous act goes unpunished. I want to use this movie to address the issue of rape. I know I can’t fight it alone but in my own way, I want to do something about it. It happens every day, especially in the rural areas. A lot of young girls are being raped including boys. I will speak elaborately about rape in a book I am writing.


Many women find it very hard to cope with career and motherhood. What drives you on?
 Aside my busy schedule as a single mother, I have to be home to take care of my son so I balance it all very well.

What is the source of your inspiration to do all that you are doing presently?
I get my motivation and inspiration from the spiritual realm because everything that happens around me is spiritual. I get inspiration from God, nature and the happenings around me. I also get inspired by my six years old son. I see a lot of things from his eyes and it’s a privilege to learn from a child.
My son is my greatest achievement. He is protective of me and still sleeps on my chest. We normally discuss a lot of things together. I don’t shun him because I want him to learn a lot of things from me. He played Bank W in my video.

What has motherhood taught you?
Motherhood is beautiful and I am enjoying every bit of it. It is not an impediment to my career. It has inspired me to be better and given me a new reason to live. I have learnt a lot of things from my son.

How did you feel when your marriage failed?
 I was highly disappointed when my marriage broke up. I felt disappointed because many things were wrong that couldn’t be corrected. I was disappointed when I left my former record label, Atunda ENT. I left without a dime and later discovered how they used me to make money for seven years I worked with them. Though, I met a lot of good people through them, but I was down career or financial wise.

Can you tell us who you are dating presently?
(Laughs). I won’t talk about that. I am dating someone and he treats me like a queen. He loves me unconditionally, trusts me and allows me to be me, so I am happy. He also loves my son. We have a lot in common and we both have a good relationship with God. What more can I ask from him?


How do you unwind?
Many people may be surprised to hear that I am not a club or party person; I only go to party if I am going to perform there. I don’t like night life but I get pulled out once in a while. I am happier when I go to a beach.

If you are asked to choose between fame or fortune, which is more important to you?
I will choose fortune because money answers all things. With money I can establish myself; nobody uses fame to collect money in a bank. 

No comments: