Monday 13 July 2015

I was exposed to music by my family and church - Ebele The Flutist




Ebele The Flutist


         The first female flutist in Nigeria, Ebele Ezeamakam, with a stage name Ebele The Flutist, in this interview with ADA DIKE, speaks on her passion for playing flute.
=====================
Can you give us an insight to your family and educational backgrounds?
My name is Ebele Ezeamakam. I am from Anambra State, but I grew up in Benin City, Edo State.
I read accounting in the university, but music was my hobby that became my passion and today it’s my career.

Where did you learn how to play flute?
I was exposed to music by my family and church.

How long have you been playing flute?
I started playing the flute at age 14, but professionally, I have been into it for about five years.


What gave you the inspiration to play flute?
I sing as well and I have a high pitch voice-soprano, so I guess I wanted an instrument that blends my voice. I gave it a try and fell in love with playing flute.

Would you say you are the first female flutist in Nigeria?
Yes I am, professionally wise. We have others, but they are in orchestras. I am the first and only female flutist that is doing this professionally/contemporary wise.


I heard you are also a songwriter. How many songs have you written?
Ebele The Flutist
Yes I do both. I play and sing when I perform. I am a songwriter, an instrumentalist, a singer, a composer and so on. So far, I have four singles and three videos. I just released the fourth single on my birthday (July 12, 2014) titled 'Dream Come True'.

Do you sing gospel or secular songs?
I am a gospel contemporary musician.

Why do flutists and saxophonist always sing other people's popular songs?
I can say because we are instrumentalists, we have a deeper way of expressing the song in a different way. But I have my own songs.

Do you sing other people's songs too?
Sometimes I do. But I play different genres of song sothat  different people can get acquainted with them. I play jazz, high praise, classic songs and my new release is urban like.
Ebele The Flutist

What is your next plan of action?
I have some old tunes I improvised, like my first single I released, "Jawa Chineke" It’s an old Igbo song but, I gave it a new century sound.

Can you tell us some of the challenges you have been facing since you began playing flute?
Well, it has not been easy selling out in the Nigerian market, but by God's grace, I am getting out and my profile is reaching a lot of peoplewithin the country and outside.

How did you overcome those challenges?
I overcome every challenge I face in the course of playing flute by churning out different tunes I love so much and also remembering that nothing good comes easy.

When are you going to release your album?
I am still trusting God for that, but while I am preparing for the album release; I am also building up my profile.

How have people been reacting when they listen to you?
They are happy seeing me do what I do, innovative. (Just the way you were happy when you saw me entertained guests at an event in Ikeja, Lagos, last weekend).

How will you be able to manage stardom?
By God's grace I will be able to manage stardom because I want to stay humble.


What are you seeing in the music industry that you don’t like?
Nigerian music industry is being recognized across continents of the world but what I don’t like is that some videos that exhibit nudity and immorality.

How can music industry in Nigeria be moved to a higher level?
The music industry in Nigeria can be moved to a higher level by encouraging our young ones to do good music and by inviting them to perform at occasions.


Can you predict what will happen in the music industry in the next five years?
Well, I am trusting God that we will be better than what we are doing today.


Where do you see yourself in the next five years?
I will become a mega star in five years’ time. I was just given an award by CAMA (Classic African Merit Award) as the first female flutist in Nigeria, so I hope to receive more awards in the nearest future.


What has been your greatest disappointment?
It would be difficult for me to name one particular disappointment as the greatest one because I believe that every disappointment is an avenue to seek alternative means in order to succeed in life.


What is your greatest achievement so far?
Fulfilling God's purpose for my life is my greatest achievement.

What drives you on?
My passion, which is playing flute that God gave me ability to do.


If your 20-year-old self could see you now, what would she think?
She will be happy.


If you had to rate your satisfaction with life so far, out of 10, what would you score?
Seven (7) percent

What are your plans for the future?
My future plan is to fulfill God’s purpose for my life and in all areas of my life.

In what place are you happiest?
I am happiest when I am rehearsing my music

Ambition or talent, what matters more to success?
Both are necessary

Who is your mentor in art world?
There are many but Mike Aremu is one of them that is why I featured him in 'Jawa Chineke'.


How was growing up?
I am from a Christian background.

What are you missing that you enjoyed as a child?
My mum.....I miss her, she's late!

What do you like to own you don’t currently have?
I will like to own a music label, music company and music school. But I trust God I will get there.

It seems you are a fashion freak. How do you define style?
Yes, I love looking good always.

Do you like formal or traditional attire?
I like formal attire.

What fashion accessories do you like most? Why?
I like earrings. It’s the easiest accessories for women

No comments: