Monday 23 November 2015

Road To Yesterday’s cast and crew bare their minds on the film

L-R: Director, Movie titled- Road to Yesterday, Ishaya Bako; Actress, Chioma Omerua; Producer, Genevieve Nnaji; Actor, Oris Erhuero; Co- Producer, Chinny Onweghenu and Regional Director West Africa, Mnet, Wangi Mba-Udokwu, at a press conference on T.E.N’s Road to Yesterday, a movie produced by Genevieve Nnaji in Lagos…at the weekend. Photo: Bode Agbede


BY ADA DIKE
On Friday, November 13, 2015, the media had an interesting interactive session with the cast, crew and a sponsor of the soon to be released film, Road To Yesterday. Below are their responses:

I am really proud of the job -Director, Ishaya Bako
The director and co-writer of the film, Ishaya Bako, traced the genesis of the film by telling the press how it all started when they were working on another project altogether, then Genevieve said, “This is the story I have.”
Bako believes “Road to Yesterday is a love story and a different kind of film that people are used to. I wrote the script with my writing partner. I am happy that we were able to produce the film. It is a fantastic film and I am really proud of the job.”

TEN is not just here to invest in content but also in people – Genevieve Nnaji
In this film, Genevieve was not just an actress but was also the producer. She shares her experience, the challenges she faced and how she was able to balance it: “The challenge was being the producer and playing a role as Victoria. I had to focus on Victoria. I took a back seat and focused on the film while my partner and the Executive Producer of the film, Chinny Onweghenu, was behind the camera. I think I am blessed to have had capable hands.  Every challenge was a welcome blessing.”
The story: “I had the story for about 24 years and I tried to get the story written by someone, he did not quite get it. I hired a foreigner, he did not get it. But, it took a young Nigerian writer to actually give me what I wanted. We should encourage our youth to learn on the job. TEN is not just here to invest in content but also in people to help them grow in the industry. We want it to be a film Nigerians are proud of.”


This is my first Nollywood film -Oris Erheurho
British Nigerian born actor with a wealth of acting experience, Oris Erheurho, said he left Nigeria as a kid. “My first experience of cinema was Nigerian. That why I go into the world and excel. Genevieve brought me back almost 30 years later. Here I am. This is my first Nollywood film. It is very important to me. It is more than anything I have ever done. From the outside, I see the market is huge. It is a blessing and the timing is right. I am very fortunate to work with all ladies production. A lot have been said that through this film, you guys have woken African cinema.”

I conquered some of my fears through this film - Chioma “Chigul” Omeruah
“I tried my best. It was really hard. Giving me an opportunity to participate in this film was an amazing thing.  I had on my bucket list working with Genevieve. I had so much fun. It helped me to conquer some of my fears. For example, I had a phobia for driving cars, but in this film, I drove a car on the Third Mainland Bridge many times. Now I drive myself. Genevieve knew what she wants and expects you to give her what she wants.”  

Why Africa Magic supported the film – Regional Director, W.A. Mnet
The regional Director, West Africa Mnet, Wangi Mba-Udokwu explained why Africa Magic supported the film by saying that ,“Everyone knows that Africa Magic is all about stories of Africa by Africans, so there were series of coincidences as things were happening at the same time because we not only support talents but also celebrate talents. We nurture talents and make sure that Africans get a platform to shine on and tell their stories in ways that are authentic and they will be proud of. When the idea of this film came up, we said let’s give it a try. I like the way the story was told. Road To Yesterday parades world class talents.”

We’ll make the film available within and outside Nigeria -Chinny Onweghenu
The Executive Producer, Road To Yesterday, Chinny Onweghenu, spoke on the distribution of the film. She said Abuja premiere of the film holds next week followed by Enugu. “After the première in the cinemas across Nigeria, there will be an international premiere of the film’.

No comments: