Monday 28 October 2019

Indigenous engineers struggling without palliative measures from the government – Adesewo Sopade



Engr. Sopade
Having spent 44 years working tirelessly to fabricate Agricultural, bakery and confectioneries equipment, Chairman, Chief Executive Officer of De Sopas Engineering, Adesewo Sopade, does not just love engineering but indeed, he is a fabricator with a difference. In this interview with ADA DIKE and BAYO BALOGUN, the engineer who hails from Ogun State but based in Lagos, among other issues sheds light on how engineering can boost Nigerian economy and improve development.

There are a lot of people roaming the streets of Nigeria without jobs. We thank you for creating job opportunities through De Sopas, which has immensely helped to depopulate the labour market. Can you tell us the staff strength of your company from the inception?
Many staff have passed through my company. Over 50 of them have passed directly while over 30 have passed through us. Directly are those who come for training while indirectly are people who were employed as workers and they got the idea, when they left, they are still practising the trade.
Many people are still here including some of my children.  I made sure that all my male children from the age of eight start coming to the workshop. Some of them have passed out. They go the normal process other staff go. I don’t give them the chance of saying this company belongs to my father.
One of my children came late this morning and I told my secretary to give him half day salary as a punishment.

Considering the location of your workshop, do you feel if you were somewhere else you would have been more successful?
To God be the glory! I started the business in Surulere, Lagos in 1974. I had the zeal to make it succeed. Determination is important in whatever one is doing. One’s products speaks for him or her not location.  I am a trained blacksmith, I invested heavily in making sure that my products stand out, which gives me a lot of confidence. I have been producing since 1982.
 It takes a lot of creativity, money and time to create a single machine, but I always make sure that my product’s quality is high and I also ensure that it works for what it is meant for, so that I can go to bed and rest. My client may sometimes come with one problem or the other, but I always make sure that I solve it.

There are a lot of young people roaming the streets that can be engaged through vocational centres. If there are vocational centres in all local governments in Nigeria and they ensure that the equipment there is locally produced, many people will go there to learn trade.

Who are you clients? Are they based only in Lagos?
My costumers are all over the federation. There is no state in Nigeria that people don’t know De Sopas products under bakery and confectioneries. As an engineer you can produce anything but one needs to focus. So for the past 30 years, I have focused myself and created my products which are different from the ones imported from the Europe. Europeans are my master, but I created my own brand that is different from theirs. That is why De Sopas is different from others.

What are the major challenges you are facing in the course of producing your brand?
Funding and lack of supply of electricity are my major challenges. Presently, we don’t have light so I fabricated my generator by myself and produce my works with my generator. It is a very big challenge. I thank God who gave me the inspiration to create works even at 64 years.

Has any organisation or the government been able to assist you?
It is very discouraging. We have a new government now so I cannot blame them for not assisting us. The government did not do anything. I believe the present one may do something. We have hope that the new government will help us.
For the past 30 years, our indigenous engineers have been struggling without any palliative measures from the government.
We are the key to the economy. This is because it is difficult to produce anything manually. One cannot rely on importation. Many people who bought foreign products are now suffering in silence because they always find it difficult to repay those machineries when they have problems. 
Government should encourage us through the Ministry of Science and Technology. They should have a list of local fabricators.
We are under the Federal Institute of Industrial Research (FIIRO), but not much is coming from there. There are a lot of young people roaming the streets that can be engaged through vocational centres. If there are vocational centres in all local governments in Nigeria and they ensure that the equipment there is locally produced, many people will go there to learn trade.
I set up two bakeries in Lagos for the less privileged that are paying tokens for the equipment. They bake while bread sellers patronise them and make profits.
Government should locate the genuine people , buy from us and give to others.

Despite all the challenges you have been facing. How have you been able to achieve your success?
It is through determination, dedication and passion for my work. Since 1974, I have been working tirelessly to achieve success. Some people don’t want to suffer but want money.
With my experience as a fabricator, with the skills I have and my immense ideas, I supposed to have a jet.
We have a great country, so we need to make her great, that is why I am playing
my part very well. I have designed a lot of machines for agriculture. I fabricated  a ‘green dryer’ for cassava processing during former head of state, Ibrahim Badamosi Babangida’s regime. I also produced garri fryer that even a boy of 10 can operate when the campaign for Better Life for Rural Dweller was at its peak, but nobody bought them.

Over three decades, you have really built a sustainable brand. In the next ten years, where do you expect De Sopas to be?
Engineers don’t give up so I am praying that it outlives me. I love research and watch discovery channels where I see people above 80 years of age still researching. 
Initially, I didn’t know I would be where I am today. I want to be more relevant to the less privileged in our society. I believe the government will listen to us one day and help us.
In a nutshell, I concentrate on my work and ensure that I conquer every challenge that may come my way.
Many Nigerians have phobia in patronising local equipment, except those that have been disappointed by the imported products. So I implore my colleagues to make sure that their works are of international standard. They should pay attention to their clients whenever they bring any complain so that they will be more convenient in purchasing locally made products.
Some clients who purchase locally produced products get disappointed because they don’t go to the right channel due to the fact that they are looking for cheaper products. I have a client who has been using my product for over 20 years and they are still working.

What is your advice to younger generations who prefer to do menial jobs to engineering?
They should go to a vocational school for training. In Abeokuta where I come from, a boy is encouraged to learn a trade while in primary or secondary school. that is why people from the western part of Nigeria are into vocational trade.
Presently, people are focusing more on books. Government believe in certificate and most of the schools don’t offer technical education. So those roaming about should learn a vocation even if they have university degrees.
During former President Olusegun Obasanjos tenure, he advised the youth to learn a trade so that they will stop looking for white collar job.
The Nigerian government has the best brains in the ministry and they know what to do. My advice to the government is that vocational training should be introduced in local government areas and primary schools so that people will go there.
People are not supposed to be roaming about after they are released from the prison. Prisoners eat bread in the prisons so government should set a bakery there so that they will be producing what they will eat by themselves.  If they are released, government should provide them with some funds to set up bakeries. They should not give the ex convicts the funds directly but should contact some of us in that field since we produce the equipment for bakery.



There are a lot of young people roaming the streets that can be engaged through vocational centres. If there are vocational centres in all local governments in Nigeria and they ensure that the equipment there is locally produced, many people will go there to learn trade.


No comments: