Monday, 18 January 2016

Visual story of Kakadu cast



Below is a statement by the Kakadu’s visiting artist, Polly Alakija. He said: “When I was approached by producer Uche Nwokedi, to be a “visiting artist”, to tell a visual story of the cast of Kakadu whilst they rehearsed, I was expecting that this would be a wonderfully hedonistic way to end the year. I had in my mind the visual feast of the first production, the costumes, the colour, the music and dance routines. How wrong I was!
“This production is no mere indulgence in the glamour and optimism of the 1960’s.
Sitting in on the rehearsals was so much more than this. What I witnessed was producer director and cast re-living and learning about the political situation in Nigeria in the 1960’s and how optimism turned into destruction and the pain and suffering that ensued.
So my imagery could not be a mere visual representation of a cast in character. The line between being in character and living the pain has become blurred for this cast. I am not sure myself if I am representing cast or character, but the emotions are real, be it pain, outrage or joy.”





No comments: