Monday 1 July 2013

Masterpieces at Nike Art GalleryI


Chief Mrs. Nike Okundaye
Well sculptured artworks (Photo by ADA DIKE)
Nike’s Art Gallery, located in Lekki Lagos, has uncountable works of different types - paintings, sculptures, installation and all other types of arts works that you can imagine. It also offers a lot of young artists the opportunity to showcase their works as well as other opportunities to see what others are doing with their talents.
Spider in its web (designed with used vehicle tyres). (Photo by ADA DIKE)
Chief Mrs. Nike Okundaye enumerates the types of services the gallery will be providing in future to include hosting art residency programmes, art healing, art café, exchanges, international workshops, art colloquium, cultural performances as well as other events that will promote the visual arts sector in the country.”
The remarkable artist and proprietress clocked 62 recently and revealed that life has taught her so many lessons. “No condition is permanent. Therefore, one can work and change his condition.  Destiny is our in our hands. This gives me a lot of strength to go on everyday despite challenges. I did not have much education, but with hard work, God has helped me. It is also because I stayed focused to this goal and my love for the arts. Things may not look good today, but they are challenges for us to learn from. Challenges are things that drive us to our ultimate destiny. So I will say that till art transforms ordinary woman, children, I will keep working.”
Interior of Nike Art Gallery (Photo by ADA DIKE)
Okundaye considers the late Susanne Wenger and her husband Ulli Beier, as the major catalysts of Nigerian art movement because she believed that the extramural classes that Beier conducted in those days were what made art to blossom. “They identified those talents and begin to build them in arts. Today, as you know, many of them have become international artists. For me, Susanne was the one that I derived my inspiration specifically from; not only I but I guess other artists. You remember that she with Beier in the 1950s. It was then that I said let me go and grow up with her because the way she embraced everybody and Yoruba religion and culture. Honestly, she truly inspired me during my stay with her. So, that was how I started with arts and background. But let me equally say that from the very beginning my family is into art and craft, especially where I come from in Ogidi Ijumu, Kogi State. My first effort were in weaving, then from weaving I moved into Adire (indigenous textile designing) But later, I discovered the Batik, which I called the loss wax method . But some people prefer to call it Campalla. Although it as by accident, but before you know it, that was how people started calling me Mama Adire up till today.  The Adire has carried me to so many countries of the world. Apart from that, today I also do oil and acrylic paintings.  We have held so many exhibitions in this gallery since we opened. Some featured my works and other Nigerian and foreign artists.
Why did you build this imposing gallery when you have such edifice in other places like Abuja and Osogbo? She was asked.
Typical well decorated bedroom (Photo by ADA DIKE)
“It was basically to give something to the arts and culture, something that people will look at as a model and may be, emulate. I know, like you said, that I have such edifice in other places but this is a different thing. For instance, I know that Nigeria has a lot of talented youths, creative minds. But many of them have not been discovered. So this building is dedicated to arts and culture in this country. It is for everyone to come and express their creativity. This is the journey that I set to do in my life. Over four decades ago, it started. I am happy that the fulfillment has come. God has granted my prayer. Also, one of the memorable places that fired my zeal to build the gallery was the Convent Garden in London African Centre.  If you go there, you will see all kinds of works and beautiful paintings from the ground to the top floor. You will see paintings hanging all over the place. After staying there, I kept dreaming of that place. I kept dreaming that one day, I will build a gallery in Nigerian that will actually represent that kind of project in terms promoting arts and offering an opportunity to younger artists to trade their talents. Also, if you go to a country like Kenya, you have a similar thing. I think they call their own, Heritage. There, you see all sorts of arts and cultural heritages of the Kenyans, well preserved. I felt that if a big gallery like this can be built by the East African nation, why can't we have same in Nigeria? So I told myself that it must come to pass. I thank God He has given me the grace to accomplish it.”
New Oshodi in Lagos (Photo by ADA DIKE)
Old Oshodi in Lagos (Photo by ADA DIKE)
According to her, prices of the artworks in her gallery are quite cheap. “With N500, you can buy something from us. Buyers determine the price of an artwork,” she said.
Her gallery houses more than 7000 artworks including old and New Oshodi, Lagos, spider web-like design, former Ilaje area of Bariga, Lagos, well sculptured artworks, beautifully designed bags, clothes, beads and so on.. Some people hold the view that Nigerians have problem of appreciating works of arts. But she said:I think I will not blame the people who hold such view because if you look at the legacy of not only Hubert Ogunde but others and see the way their works have been treated, you will know that we still have a long way to go. If you leave property for your children, it is their right to protect it. That is where I will appeal to government to do more in helping protect the rights of artists. In many cases, artists’ rights in this country are violated. We should also stand up just like what other countries are doing to protect intellectual property.
Former Ilaje area of Bariga, Lagos (Photo by ADA DIKE)

No comments: