Monday 13 January 2014

Playing sax began like a dream -Funmi Sax



Oluwafunmilayo Ibukunoluwa Ajayi popularly known as Funmi Sax is one of the few ladies in Nigeria that play saxophone. She has dropped four singles from her album called ‘Grace.’ In a chat with ADA DIKE, she reveals why she chose to play sax.
-------------
Funmi Sax
Can you tell us the genre of your music?
The genre of my music is gospel and corporate music. I dropped four singles which comprised Tungba Praise, Worship Medley, Igbo Medley and Jesus Loves Me.  

How long have you been playing sax?
I have been playing sax for 10 years.

What motivated you to start playing saxophone?
What really motivated me into this profession is that I always see myself as a unique person. I have to do something unique and I also know that God has given everybody one talent or the other. So it is left for one to know that particular thing God wants one to do. Let me say that it’s God that showed me what I am doing?
It began like a dream. I learnt it from the church I am attending, “Evangelical Church of Yaweh, Maryland, Lagos, as a brigade drummer and decided to play sax.
Also, I saw people playing sax but I didn’t even know what it was called before I started training myself on how to play it. Initially, I didn’t know what it takes to play a good tune with a sax. I didn’t attend any music school to train because I have people that I run after to learn from including Mike Aremu, Hezekiah Odunlana and Tosin my music teacher.
My inspiration is from the Holy Spirit because I see myself as an empty sax player without the Holy Spirit.


Now, can you be able to compose a song with a sax?
I am a soul-winner when I am playing sax. Sax is a spiritual instrument. Every problem in people’s hearts can become less when I play. I don’t just play sax to entertain people rather, people are blessed while some of them receive healing when I play.

As a young lady, you started this career early. Do you have plans to further your educational career?
I was in the secondary school when I started playing sax. By the grace of God, I am in the Lagos State Polytechnic where I am studying Accounting.

How do you combine music with accounting since they are two different professions?
Sax is my talent while accounting is my profession. My plan is to play sax. So for one to be successful in life, one has to think of what God wants you to do. You also have to think of what you will do in order to be successful in life.

Between music and accounting, which of them will you settle for?
 I am going to be practising in this sax field. Definitely, when I entertain people with sax, people normally appreciate me with money. As an accountant, I have to deal with cash so I will be able to account for my money and it will save me from the problem of employing an accountant or an auditor. I am doing everything so as to retain my money in my pocket.
 
Funmi Sax
Are your parents in support of your career?
I thank God for my parents because they’re the best parents in the world. They believe in what God wants me to be and also support me because they know that my playing sax is God’s wish. It has been working for me and I have their full support. Without their prayer, I won’t be where I am today.

Accounting demands your time and focus. Doesn’t this sax disrupt your studies?
There is time for everything. For me, there is time to read my books and time to play sax. It is now left for me to be able to manage my time and do the right thing at the right time.

At school, do your classmates know that you play sax?
Yes, but not all them know that I play sax.

How did they react when they discovered that you are into music?
With the level I am presently, I believe that I have to be humble. I am not a shouting or stubborn person that has to disturb the class. I am gentle and humble.
When they praise or shout my name, I don’t allow it to enter my head because I believe that it is God who deserves the glory and man owns the blessing. So the only thing I am looking for is the blessing.

Has this sax been bringing money to you?
Well, I don’t call it money but I call it honorarium. People use money to honour the gift of God in my life. So it has been coming like that but I normally give God the 10 Per cent of what I am blessed with. The gift of God in my life is already making ways for me.

Does the honorarium you normally receive satisfy your needs?
Honorarium comes from different people so it is not only one person that honours me. I thank God that since I started my studies, I have not begged anyone for my school fees. I normally inform my parents about my school fees sometimes so that they won’t feel I am doing everything by myself. Moreover, by the time I graduate, I would be proud to talk about them and their assistance towards my educational career.

How was growing up?
I grew up in Ojota, Lagos. My parents brought us up in a godly way. Another thing that moulded me is the word of God which has broken me. I am sure that I won’t be where I am if my environment didn’t affect me positively.

Give us an insight to your background
I was born on May 27, 1987 and I am the last child of six children. We are three males and three females. I am the only person playing music. I am from Ogun State. My educational career began in Emmanuel Primary School, Ojota. Later on, I proceeded to Ojota Secondary School, Ojota. Presently, I am in Lagos State Polytechnic where I am studying Accounting.

What would you do if your husband says you must stop playing sax when you get married?
I attended a seminar where we were advised to look for Mr. Available not Mr. Right. One thing I ought to ask God is that the man that will marry me must see what I am doing in order to understand what I have so that it won’t be a problem for us. I am doing God’s work so my man will become my backbone towards the work I am doing.

What is your advice for the Nigerian youths?
There is something that God has given everyone which is called talent. Don’t say you don’t know what to do in your society because God has given you one thing or the other to do. If you feel like singing, go ahead and sing. Please don’t allow what God has deposited in you to die. Make use of yourself and also allow God to make use of you.

No comments: